Lizzie Borden would have loved to have lived in this one: The Carr-Osborne House at 456 Rock St., across the street from the Fall River Historical Society, is a Greek Revival, built by Joseph Durfee in 1843. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and underwent an extensive renovation when Bob Karam of Karam Financial Group bought the property in 1985. It is also known as the Durfee-Carr-Osborne House.
From Fall River – A Pictorial History, Judith A. Boss, 1982. (Right click for better image)
Frederico Santi & John Gacher bought the property from the Presbyterian Church for an incredible bargain at $28,000 back in November of 1977. Having exquisite taste and a Newport business in antiques, these two gentlemen renovated the house and equipped it with the finest of furnishings. Some interiors can be viewed HERE.
When they decided to sell in 1985, it sold the very day the “For Sale” sign went up. It was purchased by Karam Financial Group and converted into offices for Karam Financial Services. The Karam Brothers, politically and socially connected, are a bit notorious in Fall River and own extensive properties from shopping malls to WSAR Radio and oodles in between. These are the kind of guys who can pick up a phone and make things happen – or not. It’s curious to ponder who may have tipped them off as soon as that “For Sale” sign went up….
The earliest pictures in Karam’s office of the house show cows grazing on the front lawn.
$28,000 in 1977. Imagine that. 🙂